REAL (Realistic Examples of Aging in Life) Photo Contest
Dates for the contest:
Friday, April 12 at 5 a.m. MT to Monday, May 6 at 6 p.m. MT
Thanks to all who participated! Click here to see the list of winners.
Help us pick the winners! Everyone is welcome to VOTE for their favorites. Learn more about voting.
Are you excited to improve the way older adults are represented in media? Do you feel that current depictions are often inaccurate – and you want to see it change? Do you have ideas of dynamic and interesting photos that would portray what life is really like for older adults?
In advertising and media, older adults are often portrayed as frail and bitter or as exaggeratedly active and positive. Depictions often include one half of a white, heterosexual couple, usually on vacation.
What about older adults who are:
- Vital members of inter-generational teams?
- Successful entrepreneurs?
- Engaged with social causes they are passionate about?
There are very few photos of older adults in these situations, and this contest aims to change that.
Visually under-representing older people or misrepresenting them in a prejudiced way is known as Visual Ageism. It is widespread in today’s advertising landscape, particularly in social media, print and television ads and on television programs. A significant way to address Visual Ageism is to provide multiple images of older adults in a more accurate light.
You can help!
Participate in the Changing the Narrative (CTN) Photo Contest!
We are looking for photos that combat the stereotypes associated with aging. Although older adults play a variety of roles, including spouse, parent, grandparent and hobbyist, there is a critical gap in the number of images available that depict older adults contributing to their community, workplace and future generations.
We are looking for photos of older adults:
- Category 1: In the workplace, particularly with multi-generational teams, and in a variety
of working roles (not just office)
- Category 2: In entrepreneurial roles or as small business owners
- Category 3: Serving the community as volunteers or advancing social causes
We are looking for photos that represent Colorado’s diversity!
- Living and working in both rural and urban areas
- Photos representing LGBTQ, racially and ethnically diverse communities, people with disabilities, and different religious affiliation
List of Prizes:
Grand – $250 cash
Category Prizes – $100 cash each (3 selected—workplace, entrepreneur, volunteer)
Honorable mention ($50 each) — (15 selected)
See the Official Contest Rules.
Time left to submit photos!