- This event has passed.
Reframing Aging in 2021: A quick primer and refresh
May 11, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm MDT
During 2020, the need for reframing aging and talking about ageism became clearer than ever. Ageism was exposed during the pandemic. Older workers were pushed out of the workforce in higher percentages than any other groups, and public policies established that negatively affected older people.
Yet 2020 also demonstrated the resilience and contributions of older adults:
- Retired health care professionals coming out of retirement to help with the pandemic
- Older Coloradans stepping up to care for grandchildren and other children
- Organizations serving older adults pivoting and creating innovative ways to stay connected and serve those who need more support.
Now is the time to reset our messaging, to ensure that we are communicating effectively, in a way that does not reinforce negative stereotypes and instead increases understanding about changing demographics and the need for policy changes in an aging society.
In this one-hour interactive workshop, you’ll learn:
- What reframing means, and why it’s so important to reframe aging
- How the general public thinks about older people and about aging in America, and how these patterns of thinking have taken hold during the pandemic
- Evidence-based messaging and communications strategies based on three years of research by FrameWorks Institute that have been proven to increase support for age-friendly policies and to decrease bias against older people
- How common words and phrases can have negative consequences that we don’t intend because they reinforce ageist attitudes and stereotypes about older people
- The Associated Press recommendations on how to talk about older adults and aging
REGISTER NOW: This is a professional development opportunity for those who communicate about aging and aging-related issues, within your organizations, as part of the media or otherwise. The workshop is free, but you must register in advance.
Spots are limited, so please sign up quickly using the form to the right. We’ll send you Zoom log in information 24 hours before the workshop, and again the day of.