- This event has passed.
Ending Ageism Together Online
May 7, 2020 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
From “#OkBoomer” to “#BoomerRemover”—we’ve seen a rise in ageist language and comments since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Too often, we are hearing—and maybe ourselves using—ageist words, language and stereotypes.
But all of us have opportunities to address ageism, defined by the World Health Organization as “prejudice, stereotypes and discrimination based on age.”
In this interactive, online workshop, you’ll learn:
- What ageism is, and the harmful effects it has not only on older adults, but on all of us
- What the general public believes about older people and about aging in America
- Why telling a new story about aging and ageism is so important, especially now
- The benefits to all of us as we age of having positive views of aging
- How words and phrases we may commonly use (e.g., “having a senior moment”) can have negative consequences that we don’t intend because they reinforce prejudicial stereotypes about older people
- Language that we can use
You’ll leave with some concrete tips and tactics for addressing ageism as you encounter it, creating a better world for all of us.
The online workshop is hosted by Changing the Narrative in Colorado, a campaign to change the way people think, talk and act about aging and ageism.
If you or someone you know has experienced ageism, if you’re frustrated by some of the stereotypes you’re seeing in print or digital media, or if you simply want to know more about why this is important—you won’t want to miss this. Together, we can make a difference.