- This event has passed.
Age-Friendly Healthcare for Caregivers
November 15, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm MST
Do you advocate for the healthcare of an older adult? Have you ever been told their symptoms were “normal for their age?” Or, have you experienced ageism in how healthcare providers respond to your concerns? This isn’t just unpleasant; it can negatively impact health outcomes. But, by understanding what ageism looks like in healthcare you will be better prepared.
More than 41 million caregivers provide care to older people in the U.S. This workshop addresses the intersection of caregiving and ageism.
What is ageism? Ageism is discrimination, stereotyping and prejudice directed toward a person based on their age. Ageism is a risk factor that affects our social, emotional, and physical health. Did you know that 96% of over 400 studies conducted worldwide show that ageism negatively impacts our health? Ageism also increases the costs of healthcare.
Understanding ageism can help you become a better advocate for yourself and the person or people you support.
Changing the Narrative and Care Partners Resource will be co-presenting this workshop to discuss the detrimental effects of ageism in healthcare and how it creates barriers as you provide care and support for aging adults.
We will discuss:
- Why understanding ageism will help caregivers become better advocates
- How to recognize your own beliefs about age
- What to do when you feel ageism is affecting you or the person you support
You will leave this event with:
- A better understanding of what to expect from healthcare providers
- The ability to recognize when care is being impacted by ageist thinking
- Tools to communicate your healthcare needs and those of the person you support
We hope you will join us!