Workplace Survey of Coloradans Age 50+
CTN conducted a survey of adults age 50+ in Colorado this summer about work. Stay tuned for the results this fall.
Why Age-Friendly & Intergenerational Workplaces
In the United States, and across the world, we are experiencing a fundamental demographic shift. Birth rates are down and people are living longer and healthier lives. This shift is here to stay and intergenerational workplaces will be the norm. It is increasingly more common to have multiple generations in the workplace. Companies who fail to realize this will be at a competitive disadvantage to age-friendly employers with age-friendly workplaces.
Currently, many businesses are missing out on the benefits of older workers. We are facing a talent shortage in Colorado and around the country. There is a wealth of talent in the pool of older workers, a resource that is frequently underutilized because of misperceptions and stereotypes that just don’t hold up.
Want to attract older workers? Become a Certified Age-Friendly Employer.
- Older workers can and want to work. On average, the tenure of older workers is greater than that of younger workers. Older people are very capable of working for many years past what has been considered traditional retirement age. Since retirement age was set at 65, average lifespans in the US have increased by many years and the ratio of workers over 65 as compared to those under 65 has grown greatly
- Older workers are not necessarily more expensive than younger workers. Increased loyalty, trainability, and extensive experience all up to value. Health care costs may actually be lower.
- An age-diverse staff brings advantages to employers. Diversity – including age-diversity – can bring perspective and widen the team’s skill set and customer knowledge.
- Not everyone wants or needs traditional work arrangement. Sometimes what gets in the way are structural factors that, when fixed, can actually benefit all workers. Read more here.
How can we create age-friendly workplaces?
Here are some proven solutions to make your workplace more age-friendly.
- Invest in training for people of all ages
- Offer flexibility
- Include age in diversity policies & remove age-identifiers from applications
- Encourage reciprocal mentoring so that younger people and older people can learn from each other.
Download our white paper to find out more.
How do I find older workers? How do I become an age-friendly employer?
Want to know where to find older workers? Trying to find work as an older adult? Download our resource guide for employers and job seekers.
Want to know more?
Changing the Narrative’s Age-Friendly Workplace Initiative can help. Find our more about becoming a Certified Age-Friendly Employer or sign up to have us come to you and do a presentation to your chamber, rotary or HR group.
Read more on our blog and follow us on social media.